Communal Monster kit progress thread

• A big thanks to everyone who has contributed the response has been amazing and we probably have enough to cover all the bases plus extra random stuff.

I have been busy the last few days working through various models getting ready to prime them, I also have nearly finished 6 bandits and a witch/skinshifter (photos of those to come).

For now here are the various bits and bobs I have assembled and based, brush work to follow.

On top of this I have enough bits to finish the required number of bandits and a load of revenants.

• More progress with the Monster kit today

Two scarecrows and the pumpkin man construct along with 6 bandits

Two battle donkeys, veterans of McGregor’s Spanish unit!

and to finish the Revenants are also done.

just need an hour out so on all these to complete the bases and get them varnished.

• are they revenants the undead villagers made by Fireforge?

• Some more progress today with a GW Troll thrown into the kit by Mitch. It’s been a long time since I painted a Troll and last Sunday I heard Andy and Mike commenting on a d&d pre painted troll he had for his kit and how they thought it was good to see a traditional

Green troll. With this in mind I went at it with the contrast paints, washes, dry-brushing and finished with some rough layering and highlights. 2.5 hours later this had emerged and I am quite pleased with it considering how rapid it came together.

• A few more pictures of items I’ve nearly completed, I say nearly as I am just going to have a mass basing session then they all look similar.

First up is another Vampire of the more regular Dracula type. 3d printed by Andy

Next up are some cultists and cult leader donated by Pete. I seem to recall Pete asking me what we could use for cultists and my reply of “blokes with bags on their heads” was delivered by Pete and some green stuff!

next up we needed a few bats/vampire bats again 3d printed by Andy

Finally are the last of the 8 bandits, and saved from a random bag of stuff where these two French infantrymen (from Pete/Bryans bits bag). They came out reasonable but they took forever, I will never paint a French Napoleonic force, these detail on these is just a time sink!

Finally for today are a couple of random figures that where base coated and inked but where not based so I game them both a quick highlight and some more ink along with working on the bases.

• Another productive morning with the headless horseman nearing an end, 2 foxes from the case got a touch up on their base paint jobs and two random “rat cats?” Are well under way. These two will see everything I had monster wise completed bar basing. I’ve definitely bust a move on this lot.

• Had to take a couple of days off painting as last weeks chemo caught up with me and split the skin on five of my fingers. Anyhow two days wrapped up and rest has sort them and my brush was back in action on the bases today. All the dry brushing is done and the minis now need a gloss coat and the Matt varnish before the grass tufts go on and I can call them done.

• A while back I bought a few Reaper bones minis from Mutant Dice Games to try and act as a boredom break from what ever I was painting at the time, and with the arrival the silver bayonet rules I picked up a couple more from Element Games. They initially became an oils experiment but that did not go well and I definitely need to do more research.

Well after weeks of trying to dry the oils out I finally hit them with Matt varnish and went back over them with Acrylic. They are quick, they are dirty, but they are done and fit the part.

First up is “the Thing” pre cosmic rash, okay maybe not but he is a nice Clay Golem

Next up is a Flesh Golem which I have tried to make look, well, messed up, putrid and a bit “leaky”

A pair of Trolls are next up, I just liked the old school vibe I was getting from these sculpts when I saw them in the blisters and wanted to paint them. A nice feeling!

The Cave Troll is first and I keep it colours to a grey flesh tone for the most with bits of moss green.

His distance cousin was a Marsh Troll so plenty of greens on this with some brown washes thrown in the mix. Oh and a big 90’s GW style orky grin so daft lips to match that.

Last up Is what I can only say is the least detailed model I have “painted” in a long time, the bat swarm. All I can say is it’s a cheap model, does the job and contrast paint made very short work of it.

Definitely going to need that second case Andy I have more than filled the Communal Monster case now……..on with the games!