1. Sure Lend Me the Book. (0) 0%
    2. Can I Have A Tester? (0) 0%
    3. To Many Other Projects Pal! (0) 0%
    4. Just Adapt To An Osprey Set... (0) 0%
    5. WTF Ar thi on abart? (0) 0%
    6. Fartyk isn't thaaaaaat bad dude... (0) 0%

Love your models?

Made a funky themed collection?

Disillusioned with the manufacturers rule set?

Hate referring to tables?

Can't keep track of who did what?

It's been a few years, but I fell in love with the following rule set - and no, they aren't perfect - but with a bit of discussion a good fun game can be had.

I've even taken the rules and had them bound from a Uni shop.

And anyone is welcome to loan - if like me reading from screen is a bit much

The full rule set, counters, and quick guides are here.

Stargrunt II

https://shop.groundzerogames.co.uk/rules.html

Things I loved:

• You only need d4,d6,d8,d10,d12 die (No Bucket O' Dice) - you move up or down a dice - and roll off, so you can roll a D4 and your opponent a D12 - highest score wins.
    • Units don't need points - you agree to play what you want - but then the QUALITY (Default Die) of the unit is RANDOMISED ( A nice simulation of war)
    • I go - U go Alternating Squad Action - so you never 'log out' mentally
    • Marker tokens - No need to remember each Unit/Model state
    • Actions/Counter Actions/Confidence/Suppression - its a tactics game NOT a 'special rule run off'
    • Leaders in Units & Unit % Counts - Coherence counts but it still plays as the fog of war takes hold
    • As streamlined or as complex as you make it - equipment/weapons by DICE type - regardless of how you name it/think of it. The ruleset provides suggestions, how you did it is up to you.. i used 3 grades only. D6/D8/D10 + AOE
    • ANY and ALL models welcome - bring your Santa from your Xmas decs if you want...

Things that are hard:

• Very odd codified rule speak that needed to be played to work out what they meant... its VERY dense: IE if you've been through many rule sets before you'll see some familarity/variation on common rules.
    • Secondary/side dice rolls - what they called advanced tactics... was actually handy to get a different colour for each dice size
    • It's only FUN if you like a narrative/adventure/what happens next game - it takes both players to co-operate to work.
    • The more its played the more I adapted what they did - it isn't a pick up and play rule set, so a regular opponent helped.I skipped many of the advanced status/effect rules & counters - but depending on scenario/army/size/story you want to tell I could see how they MAY work.
    • Vehicles were a little odd - I think I'd need to work out that I was doing wrong - as everything else was fairly fun.

Apparently someone did try at club once, but I suspect they tried to play it all at once. and broke the spirit of the game I found

It's being re-read by me atm, along with all my other projects

I just HATE referring to more than one/two pages or a few cards when playing any game. It's why I ended up moving towards WarmaHordes & Bloodbowl

I have a strong feeling that the Osprey rules you're all keen on have some of these elements.

I still play the odd Rogue Trader skirmish with just the Quick Reference sheet and a brief Army summary

I'm off to Bury Arcade Club... I'll be down later.