Learner Games 20th Jan

• Will and I played our first game of Frostgrave on Sunday 20th Jan, Will used a bunch of his old Warhammer Empire figures. He took and Elementalist, with an Apprentice, a Templar, 2 Archers and a load of thugs to fill out his ranks. I went with a Necromancer, Apprentice, Thief, Barbarian, Man-at-Arms, 2 Archers and a few thugs for my force.

We played the 1st scenario, Mausoleum, an used my small collection of zombies and skeletons for our wondering monsters. The Mausoleum would generate 1 Skeleton each round.

Our learnings from this game where pretty simple, both of us where too gun ho running for the treasure around the mausoleum meaning both our archers pot shots more often than not got lucky, and Wills apprentice was having a field day fireballing my clumped up thugs. In the first couple of round i lost my thief and a bunch of thugs to Wills 1 thug. More LOS blocking terrain is needed for games.

Combat is also wierd, wonderful, and brutal, its definately a thematic system designed for quick play that suits the campaign style. Overall i think we had a firm grasp of the basics by the 4th turn, though we did miss the half move and -1 to dice when carrying treasure.

Late game a mass brawl erupted in and around the Mausolem and thankfully my luck changed immensely with a streak of Critical hits, one of my archers took out Wills apprentice, then the Man-At-Arms took out Wills Elementalist who had strayed too close, then the round after jumped on a thug who was on the verge of taking out my Necromancer. Whilst I was getting the upperhand in terms of warband numbers the city of Felstad was also starting to assert itself, keeping us on our toes.

A wondering ghoul entered the Mausolem and we now had skeletons massing around us that we had not dealt with being to busy slaughtering each other. (The mausoleum generated 1 Skeleton around).

Wills remaining soilders having had a enough grabbed the wounded Elementalist and what treasure they could making a break for it. Sensing they where done and with an undead horde approaching my warband started to consolidate itself away from the battle.

BUT! Wills remaining archer, like some film star hero caught a glimspe of my Necromancer moving between the buildings and loosed! Crit on a 20 and down he went!

Whilst my warband had (barely) got the better of the day, Will definately had the last laugh in the battle!