From the pot into the fire - undead vs empire

• Aggressive Dave and myself played a random scenario of Dragon Rampant on Sunday. Once again I fielded my Francophile Empire forces, lead by my enchantress M'lady De Winter, against Dave's undead led by his mysteriously white witches.

As we didn't know who would be defending we both hedged our bets with our army lists. The scenario being that 10 captives (or in our case souls in a cauldron) needed to be rescued, on turn 3 the defenders consume the captives gaining a glory point for each one.....leaving the attacker short of time reach the objective.

Dave took two units of skeleton light infantry a unit of crossbowmen, his sorceress witches, invisible ghosts (bellicose foot) and a skull catapult counting as a cannon .

I decided on a unit of musketeers my enchantress, lesser war beasts, heavy cavalry and light cavalry a unit of ravenous peasants and a fearful unit of town militia.

Naturally with my slightly more offensive units I ended up being the defender and corralled my army around the objective.

Dave deployed most of his forces against the militia taking advantage of invisibility to deploy his ghosts opposite my musketeers.

My light cavalry tried to reposition to shoot the skeletons before they could close in. I prepared to reign fire into the undead and in typical fashion only the militia fired killing a couple of skeletons, who promptly advanced to draw out my warbeasts. Thankfully for me the ghosts failed several activation rolls allowing my brave peasants to advance on them.

Meanwhile the beasts broke against the skeletons who promptly destroyed my not so steady militia. Dave followed this up by attacking the enchantress to try and reach the objective. Only the brutal trait saved her and the dogs from certain retreat.......my dice rolls proving once again to be awful.......true story!!!!

After several failed activation rolls on both sides the deciding combat proved to be between the ghosts who were charged in the back by my peasants holding them up long enough for the souls To be saved from a fate worse than un-death....joining the ranks of Dave's undead!!!

The brutal trait and surprising fortitude of the peasants saved the game for me, Dave coming close to winning but once again snatching defeat!!