[Roleplaying] Middle Earth Campaign - The Last Realm of Men

• Campaign Sprawl

"Arvedui you shall call him, for he will be the last in Arthedain."

- Malbeth the Seer upon the birth of Prince Arvedui, T.A. 1864

It is year 1964 of the Third Age of Arda.

Araphant, King of Arthedain, is dead. His son, Arvedui, has taken the throne despite prophecies predicting that he would be the the final king of this broken realm.

And those prophecies seem more likely by the day. Angmar and the Witch-king's dominance grows while the power of the Free People diminishes. Rhudaur, to the east, is little more than a tributary of Angmar ruled by the Hill-man descendants of the Usurper Kings. Cardolan is long fallen to invasion and plague. The only realms of men outside of Arthedain are city-states who cowtow to Arthedain and Angmar in turn.

You have been contacted by a courier from Fornost Erain, capital of Arthedain. The House of Isildur has a task for you and the fate of Arda may rely on your success.

You have arrived and await upon the arrival of King Arvedui.

Map of Eriador

4spjgaT.png

• The Rules - Adventurer Conqueror King System & Heroic Fantasy Handbook

Adventurer Conqueror King System (aka ACKS) is a tabletop roleplaying system based on BECMI (very old) Dungeons and Dragons. It's a d20 using class-based system with some of the best splatbooks ever made for any RPG ever. I'll be supplying digital copies of these books for anyone who needs them.

There's a number of design choices in ACKS that make it difference to a lot of modern RPGs, especially 5e D&D:

• Character Growth: Characters go from borderline vagabond to influential conqueror to ruling king, and this is fully supported by the ruleset. Personal character growth is a lot less exponential than more modern D&D systems so that a maximum level character can, theoretically, be killed by a sufficient number of 0th-level spearmen.
    • Race-Class Combinations: All classes have an associated race. This means that more interesting stuff can be built into the races and that there's no need to worry about race balance because some races require more experience to level up. For those of you who have played 3.5e, this is a much cleaner way of doing racial level adjustments.
    • Gold-to-XP: The amount of experience you get from killing monsters in ACKS is very low. You get XP from returning gold to civilisation at a 1-to-1 ratio. This means it's much more important to be smart and clever and loot a dungeon Conan-style than it is to chop down every goblin along the way.
    • Player Agency is Key: ACKS is about supporting a sandbox game. Players aren't run on a story, it's my job as a DM to instead build a world for players to explore and to react to players. The story is the emergent narrative of players wandering about in the game world.

These choices support a certain style of gameplay that I think is more interesting than just running players through a storyline. It's about being an adventurer rather than a hero.

Heroic Fantasy Handbook

The Heroic Fantasy Handbook (HFH) is an ACKS supplement that supports gameplay in lower magic fantasy settings like Hyboria and Middle-Earth. It has a completely different set of magic rules that are design to emulate the Sorcerers of Conan and the Istari of Lord of the Rings. Magic users can't just blast their way through problems, they instead act as party buffers, healers and supporters with the occasional summoning of an eagle flock to carry a ringbearer to safety.

In addition to this, the HFH offers a massive amount of other custom rules to support playing in these settings, including the addition of fate points and improvements to the thief-based classes.

• The Races & Classes

These classes are WIP and will be updated as time goes on.

Standard Classes

These are the classes that have a standard allocation of requirements, so should be able to be hit by nearly any player with any stat rolls.

Mannish Fighter

Mannish Scholar

Mannish Thief

Hobbit Slayer

Hobbit Bounder

Hobbit Burglar

Hobbit Torchbearer

Dwarven Vaultguard

Dwarven Wanderer

Elven Warrior

Elven Courtier

Elven Loremaster

Elite Classes

These classes have more complicated stat requirements and some stat rolls might not be sufficient to hit them.

Dunedain

All Dunedain require a minimum of 9 in all stats. Aragorn and the other human nobility of Middle Earth were Dunedain.

Dunedain Noble - The upper classes of the Dunedain world, these are the rulers of realms and of men. As quick with their wit as they are with their blades, they are true warrior nobility. Think of Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth and you have an idea of a Dunedain noble. Strength and Charisma are their main stats.

Dunedain Ranger - The guardians of the borders of the realms of Gondor and Arthedain both, the Dunedain rangers are stealthy and skilled with bow, Aragorn and Faramir are the inspirations for the Dunedain ranger. Strength and Dexterity are their main stats.

Dunedain Sage - Learned custodians of the ancient lore of Numenor and the rituals of the Valar, Dunedain sages are commonly apprenticed to the five Great Wizards who walk amongst men. Denethor is the closest example in Lord of the Rings. Intelligence and Wisdom are their main stats.

High Elves

All high elves (aka the noldor) require a minimum of 11 in all stats. Examples of noldor in Lord of the Rings are Galadriel and Celebrimbor (aka the dude who actually made the rings of power).

High Elven Highborn

High Elven Spellsword

High Elven Spellsinger

• This sounds a lot of fun and thanks for the in depth explanation. I like the idea of magic being focussed on support and the world sounds great. What day are you thinking of running it? I'm only free for Sunday's unfortunately.

• This sounds a lot of fun and thanks for the in depth explanation. I like the idea of magic being focussed on support and the world sounds great. What day are you thinking of running it? I'm only free for Sunday's unfortunately.

I'm fine with either Friday or Sunday but it just depends on getting players. I can only really do one day a week without feeling like I've abandoned my missus with the baby.

This does indeed sound ace. A lot of work has gone into this Rob!

You cannot even fathom! I'm still keeping an eye out for players, by the way. :D